This is the lemon curd recipe I use for fillings in some of my recipes, e.g my gluten free lemon feather cake. Many people don’t realise how easy it is to make and it tastes so much better than the bought stuff. It adds great colour and flavour to cakes and pairs well with passion fruit pulp – a possible pavlova topping with some whipped cream.
- Put the lemon zest and juice, the sugar and the butter into a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the water is not touching the bottom of the bowl. Stir every so often until all of the butter has melted.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and quickly stir them into the lemon mixture when it is less than 65C (or the eggs will cook).
- Whisk until all of the ingredients are well combined, then leave over the simmering water, stirring every now and again, until the mixture is creamy and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon – this will happen very suddenly so keep watch!
- Remove the lemon curd from the heat and set aside, stirring it occasionally as it cools.
- Once cooled, spoon into sterilised jars and seal. Keep in the fridge until use.